Saturday, July 01, 2006

Citizenship Test

While reading the news this morning, I happened upon an example citizenship test at MSNBC. Always one to test my knowledge against the status quo, I decided to take the test just to see how much I know. Here's how it worked out:

Sadly, most native-born Americans perform quite poorly on these tests. Even more frighteningly, those same people vote. That got me thinking (always a dangerous prospect).

We make people take a test before we allow them the privilege of driving. Indeed, most professional career fields require some tested proof of proficiency in the field before one is allowed to practice the trade. Why not require voters to demonstrate a basic knowledge of our system of government as part of the voter registration process?

Pundits will point out that such a system would unfairly burden the poorly educated, those who speak English as a second language, and the mentally "challenged". To those pundits I say this: why unfairly burden the entire nation with ill-informed decision making in the voting booth? Wouldn't the whole world be a little better off if the most powerful nation did a better job of selecting leadership?

Frankly, I think choosing the person who will have the power to change the world is a bit more important than unplugging my toilet. I admit there is a key difference, though. My plumber has to take a test and get a license before he wades into the excrement. Voters do not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! 70? I didn't even pass. Does this mean I have to read the serious "stuff" again? Darn! A 1974 HS grad and my brain is jello.

This was interesting though, thanks. I also am aware of a few new weak spots I have now.... grumble.

Anonymous said...

The idea of testing citizens prior to allowing them to vote, opens up a series of doors that might be better off kept locked. After all, would the questions of such a test focus on the voter's awareness of the issues? On the position of the candidates? Or, on the long term ramifications of their vote on our country? If so, I'd be worried that the majority of those people responsible for administering and correcting the test might not have the capacity, awareness or knowledge to know the difference.
Hunter Silvastorm
www.huntersilvastorm.com

Anonymous said...

Good points, Hunter. There is always the question of who oversees the overseers.

There are several activities that could benefit from participants first providing evidence of a basic understanding of how their behavior and execution of their responsibilities will impact both themselves and others. (Parenthood comes to mind.)

I agree that some basic knowledge on the part of voters might result in better governing of our country. A pass/fail test for voter registration (one time only as part of the registration process, not as part of the vote-casting process) could provide an opportunity to educate our citizens in any area of deficiency. While this could not and should not deal with current ballot issues, it would assure that every voting citizen had at least a rudimentary knowledge of the consequences of his/her actions.

We expect that basic civics is taught to every American child before s/he reaches voting age, but this is not the case. (History followed lunch, and I couldn't keep my eyes open!) It could only help our process if every registered voter understood the functions of the three branches of government, how they interact and provide checks and balances, the duration of service in each position, and the responsibilities incumbent upon that office holder.