Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Preferences

The human mind is a fascinating thing. Some argue that we are each the sum of our experiences, and for the most part, I agree. Still, I wonder how personal preferences can sometimes be so different between people who otherwise have very much in common. This morning, I encountered a situation that made me reflect on this.

When it was time to take my shower, I ended up with a big fluffy towel (Hobson's Choice). Now, my wife and daughter both love this particular towel, and they'll no doubt be disappointed when they discover it has been retired to the laundry hamper for the week. I, on the other hand, happen to hate big fluffy towels.

I like my towels lean, mean, and damned near thread-bare. When it comes to towel selection, I take a pragmatic approach: if the purpose of a towel is to dry me off, then I should select a towel that will best do that job. Fluffy towels smear the water around, and generally do a very poor job of absorbing it. By contrast, old thin towels may not feel as nice against your skin, but they do a phenomenal job of soaking up the water. (They're also better for snapping people.) I guess you could say I take a utilitarian approach to towel selection.

I also think a good towel is like a fine wine -- it has to be properly aged. Among my very favorite towels are a few tattered old Army-issued brown towels that are now so thin you can see through them in spots. Since I've been out of the Army for nearly 9 years now, those towels have to be at least 10 or 15 years old. (On a side note, a lot of people insist that women, not towels, age like wine, but my experience has been that most women age more like milk.)

Whatever your towel preference, I'm sure you'll agree that having the right towel for you is essential to starting the day off right. The fact that my day began with a fluffy towel makes me nervous. I may get home today and find that all of my clothes are hanging in the closet facing right instead of left, or worse, that I have to eat dinner with a small fork.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget big fluffy towels and get back to talking about alien beings leaving your belly!
As a total "Woman" according to my friends you are evidently trying to take the title away! Please, I beg.
Whining about big fluffy towels! C'mon man grow a pair! Whine about something serious, like shoe lace lengths that don't match! A pair of socks where one has the elastic broken! A short sleeve shirt where one sleeve is slightly longer than the other! Nope, we get to read about big FLUFFY towels, which I agree can't dry you, ever!

Ed said...

Wow -- I feel really annoyed. You're lucky I know who you are, or that would be a crime! (see my other post today)

Anonymous said...

Fluffy, non-fluffy, as long as they get me dry I'm not fussy. In my household, a routine clean towel would be nice, I usually find 20 in the laundry and then every so often the closet is full after a wash.

What about dark colored towels that have recently been purchased and have only gone through the washer like once? Not only do they not dry but the darn things leave looking blue.