Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not Supporting Our Troops

Hang on for the ride - I'm bound to piss some people off with this post.

Joel Stein really got the ire of a lot of people with his Op-Ed piece Warriors and Wusses in the LA Times yesterday in which he expressed his opinion on the War in Iraq, and more specifically, whether or not to support the individual soldiers who are fighting it.

Throughout the article, the message was largely that if you don't agree with the war, you shouldn't feel obligated to support the troops. As if to illustrate this, he points out that "we shouldn't be celebrating people for doing something we don't think was a good idea".

To say these ideas upset people would be a gross understatement. For example, reflective of popular sentiments on the topic, Hugh Hewitt writes:
"As I suspected, Mr. Stein really doesn't know anyone on active duty, hasn't been to any bases or any of the service academies, hasn't met with wounded or returning troops, and generally admits to being blissfully ignorant of the military. He could not recount a single book he has read about the military, and doesn't even know how big it is. He thinks the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who have died in the GWOT have died in vain. He does not feel grateful for their service."
Many of the comments left at the LA Times were far less flattering and succint. Nevertheless, when did military service become a precursor to having an opinion as a citizen? Is this man not entitled to have his say? Is he a bad guy for having an unpopular opinion? I don't think so.

Absent military credentials on Mr. Stein's part, I'd like to make a few observations as someone who does happen to have modest military credentials.

People have gotten extremely wrapped up with comparing what's going on now with Vietnam, particularly as it relates to how the troops are treated when they return home. Most people are overlooking some important points, though.

It's important to draw a distinction between the troops in Iraq now and those who fought in Vietnam. In Vietnam, soldiers were drafted. It didn't matter what your opinion was -- if your number came up, you had to go. Today's military is an all-volunteer force. Anyone serving is doing so in consequence of a conscious decision to serve, knowing full well the implications of his or her service. This is even more true for those who joined the service after September 11th.

That said, I certainly do not advocate spitting on troops, booing them, or otherwise using our troops as a venue to express frustration with the current administration. The other side of that, though, is that I also see no reason to arbitrarily be "grateful" or "appreciative". Neither of these things define someone as being a great American.

I remember when I returned from Desert Storm on April 1st, 1991. We landed at Pope Air Force Base, which adjoins Fort Bragg. I walked down the steps from the airplane, and I was met by a large brass band playing some military parade tune, and an even larger gathering of people cheering. We were "heroes", or so I'm told.

What impact did this "hero's welcome" have on me as a soldier? What feelings did it elicit from my little warrior heart? In a word: guilt. That's right, I felt guilty.

I didn't have any family or friends greeting me, but I remember this girl -- a complete stranger -- approached me and asked if anyone was there to welcome me home. I explained that there was nobody there to greet me.

"Well, " she said, "I'm not here to meet anyone in particular, so I'll welcome you home."

And with that, she hugged me.

During all of this, those feelings of guilt persisted. Had I been born a mere 20 years earlier than I was, a similar girl might have greeted me, but in a very different way. Further, I don't feel like we went through anywhere near the horrors experienced by most who fought in Vietnam.

You won't find any of those cheesy magnets on my vehicles. Frankly, I find them distasteful. Instead, I express my gratitude on an individual basis. When I meet a Veteran, I shake his hand, introduce myself, and welcome him home.

If you really want to support the troops, do it at the polls. Elect officials who will not place them in harms way unless it truly is necessary. Vote for people like Senator John McCain who have the proper experience from which to draw when making the decision whether or not to send our sons and daughters into harms way.

To those who will no doubt paint Joel Stein as anti-American, I say get off his back. The right to freely express dissent and unpopular opinions is fundamental to our way of life in this country. Those who would silence him need look no further than the mirror to see someone who is truly un-American.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog,

I understand where Stein is comming from. I also believe that most flag waving Americans today do so because they feel it's the in thing to do. I truly feel for the soliders over there trying to do their job and stay alive. But I also ask the question, just why are we over there. Iraq did not pose a threat to world peace, and never showed any intentions to do so after the bashing in Iraq 1. I feel we are over there for political reasons only. So they best way to support our troups is to bring them home.

Anonymous said...

I will disagree with you (Ed) and Joel Stein. I think that tying your support for the troops in with your political views is not only silly it is shortsighted. Troops deserve our respect for many reasons at all times (not just during this war). Here are my reasons for respecting the US soldier.

Anyone who signed up to keep my country safe deserves my respect.
Anyone who keeps me from being drafted deserves my gratitude.
Anyone who voluntarily keeps himself or herself off the job market (and does not compete with me) deserves some gratitude.

I will not be out there hugging the troops as they come back to the US. I do not have any stickers on my car. However, I do not let my personal political views cloud the facts either. Anyone who ties their respect for the soldiers to their political views is simply much too wrapped up in politics.

Anonymous said...

Finally, Ed you're putting something in here that can be considered a hot topic!
I agree completely...OK, not quite. I agree with most of what you say. First, because of what our country stands for, Stein DOES have the right to infuriate others with his talk against the troops. But at the same time there are consequences to what you say. You can't expect to say these types of things about our troops and not expect people to be angry. That's the price he pays for having his opinion.(Just ask my last boss and why I have a new job) Second, I still think that even if individuals choose to have this opinion against the Armed Forces, they should be aware that if it weren't for the Armed Forces this freedom would not exist. I think that many people choose to ignore this little nugget of history. Yeah, it happened but it doesn't matter today. I disagree but then again I have a skewed viewpoint of things.
Also, Ed good job with the Vietnam comparison. VOLUNTEER, not DRAFT. What I hated about being home during the holidays, that would be the Happy Holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, was watching the local news. Another sad story about some soldier that won't be home for the holidays. Um...I would appreciate the story more if the guy had been drafted. That would mean he has no other choice but to be over there fighting, for what I have no idea? Sand maybe. Go figure, the wife and kids miss you daddy! Oh and by the way the end of the news story talks about how he volunteered to go back for his third tour. But that's only a minor point.
Yes, I'm cold and heartless, but then again when I'm at the airport I shake the troops' hands and applaud as the walk by.