Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day

To those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
So here we are on another Veteran's Day. Regardless of your political proclivity, you live in a country where it is okay to voice your opinion. If you enjoy that simple freedom, find a Veteran today and thank him (or her).
Lest we forget: All gave some; some gave all.
Oddly enough, Veteran's Day is perhaps the most significant day of the year for me - more special even than my birthday. I'd rather be honored for what I've done and who I've been than recognized simply for not dying again this year. Each year at this time, I pause to reflect.

When I was about 11, I decided that I wanted to be a Paratrooper. Granted, I cut my teeth on movies like Rambo and Uncommon Valor, but it was more than just the glory (although admittedly, that had its draw, too). In a certain sense, I was drawn to being a part of something bigger than myself, and what could be more noble than defending mom, apple pie, baseball, and the American way of life? (and I don't even like baseball)

I grew up in a time when our country was still suffering the sting of Vietnam, and quite frankly, I always admired Vietnam Veterans. I also felt a certain amount of shame for the way most of them were treated when they returned home, although I am too young to have ever witnessed it first hand. Still, I admired the way they held their heads high anyway as if to say, "You won't break me. The war didn't break me, and neither will you, because I did what had to be done."

I spoke with an Army recruiter when I was 16. He politely told me to come back and see him after I turned 17 (go away kid, you bother me). So in my Senior year of High School (I was a year younger because I skipped 6th grade), on my 17th birthday, my parents and I marched down to my nearest Army Recruiter. In this case, he was a young man by the name of Sergeant John Paxton who looked like he'd be right at home on some farm in Iowa. As it turns out, I was only his second recruit. 5 days later I signed my contract (as did my parents, since I was legally too young to enter into a contract) and began my time in the Delayed Entry Program. It's hard to believe that was 16 years ago (1989). I don't want to detract from today's point, so I'll save my stories for another time. (If feel like you simply must read some military stories today, go check out my 3rd FASCP Memories blog.)

If you see a Veteran today, shake his hand and say thank you. Something else that Veterans like to hear: "Welcome Home". You would be amazed how many Veterans have been moved to tears when I tell them that, because in some cases, they really haven't heard it much.

No comments: