Tuesday, November 22, 2005

You People Disgust Me

What is it about the holidays that brings out the worst in people? This is supposed to be the one time of the year when people are more tolerant and forgiving of one another. I guess that's just lip service.

I read on Snopes today that the American Family Association is asking people to boycott Target the day after Thanksgiving (incidentally, the biggest shopping day of the year). Why are such drastic measures called for? What ultimate faux pas did Target commit? Quite simply, they have failed to promote Christianity to the satisfaction of the AFA. To wit, they do not allow Salvation Army kettles in front of Target stores, and do not use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in their in-store promotions and public advertising. How scandalous! It's time for a little dose of reality.

Frankly, I'm glad the kettles are gone. I don't like being harassed when I come out of the store. I feel largely the same about this begging that I do about any panhandling - I just want to be left alone! Furthermore, if you allow one group to beg for money, you must necessarily allow all groups to set up camp just outside your doors. That in mind, I certainly do not fault Target for their policy with respect to solicitors (the Salvation Army or otherwise) and I really don't think religion had anything to do with the decision to keep them out.

As for the "Merry Christmas", when did December become a month only for Christmas? Christmas certainly isn't the only December holiday. We also have Kwanzaa and Hanukkah both starting on the 26th (Hanukkah actually formally begins at sundown on the 25th), and for the Pagans, Yule on the 21st. The Muslims are left out in December, and don't have another holy day until January (Ramadan began October 16th), but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

While we're at it, in terms of numbers, Christians only account for 33% of the world's population -- hardly a majority (fair disclosure: that number is about 76% in the United States). Also keep in mind that those whose religious beliefs fall under the umbrella of Christianity are actually spread among some 35 odd variants (who sometimes are none too pleased with one another). Interestingly, non-believers make up about 13% of the US population (second only to Christianity as a group), and also shop at Target.

Christmas is supposed to be one of the most holy days for Christians -- they are celebrating the birth of their savior. If you ask me (and even if you don't), perhaps some of these busy-bodies calling for boycott could better spend their time brushing up on the tenants of their faith; particularly tolerance, forgiveness, and that whole bit about not judging. They certainly don't seem to be following them very well.

I originally had planned to hole up on Friday (it being my birthday and all) and hide from the mobs that will be out shopping. In light of this nonsense, however, I've decided to make a special trip to deposit some of my hard-earned cash at my local Target store. I hope everyone who reads this will join with me and do the same.

No comments: