Thursday, November 10, 2005

College Education: An Excuse

Before I graduated from college, people used my lack of education as an excuse. "We're sorry, but this job requires a college degree." That used to really annoy me - particularly since I know a number of college graduates who couldn't pour sand out of a boot even if the directions were written on the bottom.

Fast forward a few years and now I have Master's Degree. No more excuses, right? Wrong. Now that damned degree is used an excuse for why I am able to do anything: "You write so well, but you have a Master's Degree, so that explains where you learned it." Indeed. "You know so much more about the Internet than I do, but you have a degree in Information Technology, so that explains it." Really? Are you sure it's not just that you're stupid?

Every time someone makes a comment like that I wince. People don't realize that whatever skills I have are inspite of the degree - not because of it. Anyone who thinks college graduates are better at writing (or anything else) has obviously never been to graduate school.

The degree has just become the most convenient excuse for any success I have. When will people learn?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Masters degree is a great accomplishment. That must be why you write so well.

Anonymous said...

You should explain to them you were very eloquent prior to earning your degree. At least they aren't telling you that you are "over qualified" for positions now. :)