Thursday, November 03, 2005

Beers to You

Many a successful business deal has been made over a frothy brew at a local pub. An uncountable number of business relationships have been forged in the hazy smoke of some bar. Yes, I dare say that social drinking has become part of mainstream business -- at least outside of Utah.

A number of people (primarily teetotalers) have argued this point with me, but experience tells me that you can sometimes accomplish more over a few drinks than you can at the office.

With this in mind, and notwithstanding the fact that since I'm away from home on this contract I really don't have anything to do after work, I was thrilled when a couple of guys from the office invited me out last night.


(Image horked from my good friends over at Woot)


We went to Monk's Café on 16th & Spruce, which is conveniently only about 3 blocks from my apartment in Philadelphia. If you're in Philly, I recommend this place. It's a little expensive, but they have a wide variety of beers, and the food is really good. Come early, though, because seating can be a problem.

I had a Sam Adams (with a few jokes about Sam Jackson). I didn't get drunk, I didn't fall down, and a bolt of lightening didn't shoot out of the sky and strike me down. Better luck next time.

Anyway, my point here is that humans are social creatures, and we need interaction with others. Arguably we get a certain amount of that in our work environments, but it's still nice to get together outside of the office. I say Thank You to those who invited me. I enjoyed it.

No comments: