Wednesday, November 16, 2005

15 Years Already

I've been getting a tremendous amount of activity on my 3rd FASCP Memories blog lately, and it looks like we're actually going to put this 15-year reunion together. It's hard to believe it's been nearly 15 years since we got home from Desert Storm. Where did the time go?

As I mentioned in a post to my other blog today, one of the cool things that's really starting to take off is a Frappr map I set up to show the locations of where all my old Army buddies ended up. Frankly, I think this is a great implementation of the technology available today, and some of the "Web 2.0" features that the tech community is buzzing about.

It's amazing how an event like combat service can bring together people from all over the country and all walks of life with different backgrounds and experience, then change them forever before flinging them out across the country again (as illustrated by the map). The bond we all share, though, is not one to be broken by mere time or distance. Sharing blood, sweat, and tears does something to you. It changes you somehow, in a way that is subtle, yet undeniable.

In April, I'll get together with these men -- the finest I have ever known, and some of whom I haven't seen in 12 or 14 years. We'll swap new stories, retell old stories, and remind each other that we were a part of something bigger than ourselves.

No comments: